Antwort schreiben 
NEW YORK -- On a day when dozens of Yankees greats were back on the field in pinstrip
09.08.2018, 08:23
Beitrag: #1
NEW YORK -- On a day when dozens of Yankees greats were back on the field in pinstrip
NEW YORK -- On a day when dozens of Yankees greats were back on the field in pinstripes, Goose Gossage was overwhelmed to be the centre of attention. Marc Methot Jersey . The Hall of Fame reliever with the blazing fastball and bushy moustache was honoured by the team on Old-Timers Day with a plaque to be put in Monument Park. "This is the greatest day Ive ever had," he told the sellout crowd of 47,493 at Yankee Stadium. Joined on the field by his family and old-timers from Yogi Berra to Bucky Dent, Gossage unveiled his plaque at home plate and grabbed the microphone Sunday to chants of "Goooose" before New York hosted the Baltimore Orioles. "I played for nine different teams, and putting on the pinstripes was like the closest thing to an out-of-body experience Ive ever had," Gossage said. "Outside of the day my kids were born and going into Cooperstown, it doesnt get any better than this. Its awesome," he added later. "Just an amazing day. I cant even put into words what it means." Gossage pitched for the Yankees from 1978-83, helping them to a World Series title during his first season in pinstripes. He returned for 11 games in 1989. Back in his day, closers routinely pitched multiple innings -- and Gossage was no different. He went 42-28 with a 2.14 ERA and 151 saves for the Yankees, leaving him third on the clubs career list behind Mariano Rivera (652) and Dave Righetti (224). "What he did in his era was just incredible," former New York pitcher David Wells said. After spending so much time in the bullpen at the previous Yankee Stadium, just a few steps from Monument Park, Gossage said he never could have imagined having his own plaque out there with all the others. The inscription on his marker begins by calling Gossage "one of the most intimidating pitchers ever to don pinstripes." It becomes the 28th plaque grouped behind the centre-field fence, where seven monuments commemorate such all-time greats as Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle, along with late owner George Steinbrenner. The tribute came one day after the Yankees presented Tino Martinez with a Monument Park plaque in a similar celebration. Gossage tipped his cap to the crowd, and a video montage of his Yankees highlights preceded his speech. Diana Munson, the widow of former batterymate Thurman Munson, gave the pitcher a framed replica of his plaque, and the team presented him with a flashy No. 54 ring outlined in diamonds. "I cant tell you what it means to me and my family," said Gossage, recalling that Old-Timers Day was always his favourite day of the year during his Yankees tenure. "I dont even really know what to say. Its totally overwhelming to me." When the ceremony was over, the old-timers took the field for a four-inning game. Ron Guidry was on the mound, Rickey Henderson led off with a double and Mickey Rivers made a smooth catch in right-centre to rob Martinez of extra bases. Jesse Barfield homered into the left-field corner off David Cone, who trotted from first to third right alongside the ex-slugger. "I always wanted to run the bases," Cone said. "The only way I could do it was to piggyback off Jesse." Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui each made their first appearance at Old-Timers Day, both drawing a big hand. Matsui came in from left field to pitch to Reggie Jackson in a made-for-Hollywood matchup of Godzilla vs. Mr. October. Berra and fellow Hall of Famer Whitey Ford, both in their 80s, waved from a golf cart and received standing ovations. Later on, still wearing his full uniform, Gossage threw out the ceremonial first pitch before the Yankees played the Orioles. Greg Pateryn Jersey . Anderson is scheduled to have neck surgery April 8 to repair the injury, which occurred when he collided with the Celtics Gerald Wallace during a game in Boston on Jan. 3. The 6-foot-10 Pelicans forward, who had been averaging 19. Ben Bishop Jersey . The 49ers announced the deal Tuesday. San Francisco selected Lloyd in the fourth round of the 2003 draft. http://www.hockeystarsonline.com/adidas+...ars+jersey .C. -- The Carolina Hurricanes used a strong third period to extend their winning streak to three games.TORONTO – On Tuesday night, Jose Reyes extended his hitting streak to 10 games with an infield single off of Rays starter Alex Cobb. For the first time in his tenure with the Blue Jays, the superstar shortstop is healthy and wreaking havoc on the bases. Hes once again the catalyst that made him famous - not to mention rich - and a current teammate who watched Reyes up close while with the Mets likes what hes seeing. “I think its just really a matter of health for him, but as far as what hes showing it is very similar to the guy that won the batting title the year that I was with him in New York,” knuckleballer R.A. Dickey told TSN.ca. The year to which Dickey is referring is 2011, Reyess last of nine seasons with the club that signed him as a 16-year-old amateur free agent in 1999. Reyes hit .337/.384/.493, career bests to this day. He walked more times that year (43) than he struck out (41), which has happened only one other time. It could occur again this season; so far Reyes has taken 15 free passes and whiffed 15 times. Reyes already has 11 stolen bases, only four shy of his injury-plagued 2013 total. Hes been caught stealing only once. With Melky Cabrera hitting behind Reyes, manager John Gibbons has executed the hit-and-run and Cabreras found the holes created by the defence. “The thing that I thought made him so special was there were so many different ways that he could impact a game in New York,” said Dickey. “Last year he was limited with his ankle injury and you didnt really get to see what he was capable of doing at all, really, because when he came back he was still kind of limping around.” The Blue Jays have been at or near the top of baseball in key offensive statistics like home runs (76 – 1st), slugging percentage (.450 – 2nd), on-base plus slugging (.781 – 2nd) and walks (179 – 6thh). Gump Worsley Jersey. Theyve been creeping up the ladder in on-base percentage and now sit fourth in the majors (.331). “The genesis of any good team is guys with good on-base percentage,” said Dickey. “I think what were seeing this year that we might not have had much consistency with last year is that factor. Guys are getting on base. Pillar, Gose, Tollesons a big pick up the way hes playing. Melkys on base all the time.” Dickey, the pitcher, then offers a thought on what it must be like to be a mound opponent of the Blue Jays these days. “The less breaths that youre allowed to take, the harder the outing,” said Dickey. “Really, in our lineup the way that its going, you have to hold your breath the whole game and thats tough on a starter because you constantly have to execute pitch after pitch after pitch after pitch and youre not really allowed to have a lapse. When you feel like you cant have a lapse, or else, it can influence other pitches.” RASMUS REHAB PLAN Colby Rasmus, on the disabled list since May 13 with tightness in his right hamstring, would prefer to avoid a minor-league rehabilitation assignment and get right back into the Blue Jays line-up when hes activated. The sentiment isnt shared by his skipper. “He needs to go down and play,” said manager John Gibbons. “Hes been doing some running and things like that. The trainers, they usually come to me when hes about ready and we put a game plan together. But, yeah, he needs to go down and play some games.” The Blue Jays are enthused about the platoon combination of Anthony Gose and Kevin Pillar the club has employed since Rasmus got hurt. Entering Tuesdays action, in the 13 games Rasmus has missed, the Jays have gone 11-2. Goses speed has created runs on offence and hes often made difficult plays look routine in centre field. Cheap Chargers Jerseys Cheap Rams Jersey Cheap Dolphins Jerseys Cheap Vikings Jerseys Cheap Patriots Jersey Cheap Saints Jerseys Cheap New York Giants Jerseys Cheap Jets Jerseys Cheap Raiders Jerseys Cheap Eagles Jerseys Cheap Steelers Jerseys Cheap 49ers Jerseys Cheap Seahawks Jerseys Cheap Buccaneers Jerseys Cheap Titans Jerseys Cheap Redskins Jerseys ' ' '
Alle Beiträge dieses Benutzers finden
Diese Nachricht in einer Antwort zitieren
Antwort schreiben 

Gehe zu:

Benutzer, die gerade dieses Thema anschauen: 1 Gast/Gäste

Kontakt | regenwarner | Nach oben | Zum Inhalt | Archiv-Modus | RSS-Synchronisation